In this advanced era, the air quality of the earth is degrading day by day. People are taking several steps and measures to decrease pollution in the air, both outdoor and indoor.
Just like the outdoor air, indoor air can be harmful to our health as well. Lots of pollutants and particles roam around our homes which can encourage or intensify lung-related diseases.
Today we will discuss such a product which is making a buzz in today’s world for claiming to purify the quality of indoor air. So, let us find out whether these home air purifiers are worthy of your money or not.
How does it work?
Air purifier sanitises the air including toxins, pollutants, and allergens. It works just oppositely as a humidifier and an essential oil diffuser. Humidifiers and diffusers include particles to the indoor air while dehumidifier absorbs particles from home air.
The air purifier is also different from the filters. Because filters remove particles while air purifier sanitises them as well. Some options of air purifier come with filters, and some do not.
There is a type of air purifier which emits negative ion and attracts positive ion. Thus, the ion particles of air get neutralised. The drawback of this type is the probable emissions of ozone.
Is it effective?
To be precise, yes. It works as the sanitiser or remover of harmful particles from indoor air. But it is not effective in removing or neutralising all the detrimental particles residing in your home.
Because many particles sit on some soft surfaces like bedding, furniture, carpets and hard surfaces like walls rather than the air. The indoor air purifier cannot work in such cases.
The home air purifier is efficient in removing the following particles from indoor air.
Allergen is a substance that can generate unfavourable immune responses in the way of asthma or allergies. Pet dander, pollen, and dust mites are some of the most common examples of airborne allergens.
You can use an air purifier with a filter called high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA). This filter is widely known for trapping airborne allergens.
Mould is a serious issue for people suffering from lung diseases and asthma. Only an air purifier may not work as good as a filter.
So, the air purifiers with HEPA filters work best for deducting mould from your home. It is also effective in reducing the level of humidity of your home.
Air purifiers with filters can also eliminate smoke from the air. Smokes generated from tobacco or landscape fire are removable by this type of air purifier.
Still, despite using an air purifier, you cannot eliminate the smoke smell and stain. One study found a little impact of only air purifiers on removing nicotine from the air. So, it is better to use air purifiers and filters combinedly.
4. Indoor Toxins
The air of a home not only consists of mould and airborne allergens and but also contains some indoor toxins that come from the products we use for cleaning and personal care purposes.
If these particles exist in the indoor air, the surrounding becomes harmful to our body. An air purifier traps all these indoor toxins. But if you can reduce the use of such products, it will be the best for your environment and health.
Benefits of Air Purifier
Taking medications is very important for patients with asthma and allergies. But an air purifier eradicates the primary source of these issues. If you use it continuously, then you may experience fewer asthma symptoms and allergic reactions.
Though an air purifier is not the alternative of the medications, you can eradicate the source of these issues with the help of an air purifier. We should always consult with our doctors before stopping the usage of any medication.
Things needed to keep in mind while using an air purifier:
- Air purifiers with filters tend to be more efficient in cleaning up the indoor air
- There are various sizes of air purifiers available in the market. If you need one for your entire house, get the larger one. And if you need it for a particular room of you, bring the smaller and portable one.
- Despite having all these benefits, an air purifier may not work if you donot take other necessary steps for creatingfresher air in your house.
Some essential measures to make the indoor air healthier:
- Often clean fabric furniture, carpets, and rugs.At least, sweep up these surfaces once a week with the help ofhigh-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter vacuum.
- Replace carpets with hardwood flooring or vinyl if you are suffering from severe allergies.
- Wash the beddings and duvets in hot water once a week.
- Shower your pets often. And if you are sensitive to pet dander, try to not sleep with the pets.
- Maintain the humidity level of the air properly, so that mould and dust mites do not worsen.
- Never smoke when you are inside the home.
- Switch from toxic cleaning products to non-toxic ones. And if you are bound to use harsher chemicals, ventilate the home more by opening windows and turning on fans.
Before investing your money in purchasing the air purifier, you can first test the air quality in your house so that you can know whether you need one or not. If your indoor air quality is not so good, you can invest in an air purifier as it is worthy of your money.
According to research, filters can help remove harmful particles like allergens, mould, smoke, and toxins from indoor air. Only air purifiers also help to maintain indoor air quality. But the best outcome will come if you combine the air purifiers with filters.
Also, you need to follow the essential measures to keep your house and the surrounding cleaner and fresher so that your air purifier can work more efficiently.
Last Updated on May 24, 2021