A toilet flange extender offers a promoted flange so that the wax ring, the bottom or base of the toilet and the flange align perfectly. If your present flange is lower to take on the wax ring in the right place to confront the bottom of the toilet drain, then you require installing a flange extender.
In a general toilet placement, the floor flange that is installed interior the drain opening beneath the toilet should be set so that the bottom surface reclines flush in opposition to the completed floor, or no exceeding than ¼ inch below or above the floor.
This confirms that the flange creates a waterproof seal contrary to the wax ring that matches from the drain opening to drain let-off on the below side of the toilet.
However, if the flange isn’t placed rightly at starting, the toilet may not seal compactly against the drain, as a result, making the possibility for leaks around the bottom or base of the toilet. This is in one side so dirty and another side is a code violation (technically), so by placing a toilet flange extender you should take the remedy to overcome such problem.
A Flange Extender’s Working Process
A toilet flange extender capacitates the appearing flange to enhance the drain connection regarding the surrounding flooring system. But usually, plastic flanges can’t be removed due to they are glued to its drain pipe. A few flange extenders are made of plastic rings that show in different thicknesses.
And some are very identical to an ideal floor flange where contains a slightly smaller pipe stub that matches the interior of the opening of the subsisting flange. Others are particular flange and various plastic spacer rings of different thicknesses to make up several flange heights.
Maximum extenders are guaranteed by fastening them to the subfloor using screws driven via the holes in the old flange. To make a waterproof seal, extenders need a rubber gasket or require the sealing by caulk while they are installed.
Needed tools and materials:
- Putty knife
- Adjustable wrench
- Toilet flange extender
- Mineral spirits
- Silicone caulk
- Deep seal wax ring
The first and foremost consideration is to place a flange extender is searching for a standard extender that matches your situation.
There are various types and brands, where you want to be securing the product worthy of your situation before you collect the rest of your materials and understand how to place them. Relying on your purchasing extender the installation process always varies, but the step is similar for all types.
1. Take aside the toilet: To entrance the toilet flange, first take aside your toilet from the drain and place it apart. This is finished by eliminating the nuts holding the toilet onto the toilet tank’s bolts, and safely prying your toilet aside from the flange.
However, you may desire to first alleviate the tank from your toilet bowl to commit this easier. While moving or removing the toilet you should be more careful; because the porcelain can crack and fragile items.
2. The flange requires cleaning: Clean the top of the previous flange to assure that your flange augmentation can sit neatly in the proper place.
If it is use wax on the flange, using a putty knife just scrape it off, and then eliminate the residual by the mineral spirits and a rag.
3. Check the proper fitting of the flange extender: Now test matching the flange extender, with one or more spacers, if provided along with the extender.
The bottom or base of the flange extender must be flush by the completed floor or no more than ¼ inch above or below the floor surface.
4. Place the flange extender: Take aside any type of screws confirming the previous flange to the subfloor. Establish a liberal amount of silicone caulk together the bottom lip of the flange extender. Possibly, if the flange extender has a rubber gasket, engage the gasket as instructed by the manufacturer.
Put the flange extender into place over the previous flange, involving any spacers, as required. Classify the screw holes in the extender by the open holes in the previous flange. Consolidate the extender to the subfloor with the included screws.
5. Reinstall your toilet: Putting the flange extender in the appropriate place, you can replace or reinstall the toilet. It is normally best to use the fully new wax ring if you reinstalling the toilet.
While using an extender, just place your toilet with a deep-seal wax ring fitted to the horn of the toilet. And when your toilet remains in the proper place, conduct a bead of silicone caulk toward the seam from the base of the toilet to the floor.
Although low toilet flange is a general issue while placing a new one. If your existing flange was not set properly or creates damaging then you should install a toilet flange extender immediately.